Frequently Asked Question
In order to add new content to TheTVDB, you must make sure you’ve taken any and all measures to confirm that the content does not already exist on the site. This will prevent duplicate entries, and continue to keep the site organized and clean. To confirm, you must:
- Search the TVDB: We’ve made vast improvements to our search engine in this update and we now support an aliases system that has been optimized. Please search for your records before creation, they may already exist!
- Read through this KnowledgeBase: We have rules, style guides and more defined for how we expect items to be entered. Items that do not follow our guidelines are subject to deletion without notice. We even have a list of known problematic series that may just answer your question.
- Search the forum archives: Available here. If you have a specific question related to a show or film, especially older ones, it is important that you search the forums thoroughly before modifications are made. Some of our content has old historical references that are defined in the forums.
- Search any other titles/aliases that may have been associated with the content: a quick Google search can help you find alternate titles that a piece of content may have been called in the past, including foreign titles (e.g. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone aka Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone)
- If possible, try searching for the title you are looking for in both the series/film’s native language, as well as in English — the content may just be missing a translation.
If, after all this, you’re confident that you’ve found a piece of content that doesn’t exist yet on TheTVDB, you can proceed with adding it to the site.